My husband loves peanut butter cookies. He doesn’t eat a lot of sweets anymore, but if there are peanut butter cookies anywhere in the vicinity, he’ll have a handful, or two. He especially loves the peanut butter blossoms, with the Hershey’s kiss on top of the cookie.
I love to bake, and it used to be that when I baked, I made everything from scratch. Nowadays, I generally use a mix, unless I’m baking for the holidays. I still make everything from scratch for my holiday baking, but if it’s general, every day baking, I use a mix because it’s faster. However, once I heard about these easy, three-ingredient peanut butter cookies, it’s just as fast to make these cookies from scratch as it is to use a mix. They are better, too.
When we went to San Diego a couple of years ago to visit family members, we went to my cousin Steve’s house for Easter dinner. My cousin Dawn brought peanut butter blossoms. They were the best peanut butter cookies I’d ever eaten. I begged and begged her for the recipe, and she finally gave it to me. Not because it was a secret recipe, she would just forget to pass it on.
These cookies are made from only three ingredients; four if you count the sugar to roll them in, and the ingredients are things you probably already have in your pantry. The next time your child comes to you the night before you are to bring cookies to his or her class party, you can whip up a quick batch of these cookies.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
- Heat the peanut butter in the microwave so that it is soft but not completely melted.
- Stir peanut butter, egg, and honey until completely mixed together.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes in refrigerator
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar and place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar; or make crisscross patterns using a fork.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let set on cookie sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.
- Use creamy or smooth peanut butter for best results.
- The amount of honey used can be adjusted for sweetness.
- As an alternative to flattening the cookies before baking, place dough balls on the cookie sheet after rolling in sugar and let the dough spread while baking. Upon removing from the oven, immediately place an unwrapped Hershey’s kiss or peanut butter cup on top of each cookie.