The following recipe may seem disturbing to some, especially picky children. Do not attempt if the thought of eating avocados for dessert induces gagging or vomiting.
If you do decide to try this out, you are in for a real treat.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Avocado Mousse:
Yes, you read that correctly, avocado mousse - a sweet dessert that is oddly green and loaded with healthy fats. A mousse that is packed with fiber, keeping your digestive track flowing. Are you ready to do this?
- 2 large avocados
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup milk (whole works the best)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Shredded lightly-sweetened coconut
- Combine avocados, sugar, lime juice and milk in a heavy-duty blender. Pulverize until the avocado is completely smooth. There should be no stringy fibers in the mixture.
- Transfer the avocado mixture to a stand mixer. Add heavy whipping cream and beat until firm peaks form.
- Pour the mousse into individual serving ramekins. Top each dish with a sprinkle of coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. The mousse will turn brown if left in the fridge for too long. Serve to brave guests.
I recently made this dish for friends during an avocado party. Yes, I threw an avocado party. It's my favorite vegetable. I wanted to serve a green dessert, but decided that turning a standard mousse into to an avocado masterpiece would be a more adventurous idea. My 15-year-old brother was the only person who didn't like the dish. While we don't enjoy sweet avocados in the states that often, it is very common in other countries, such as Brazil.
So, I dare you try it out and let me know what you think!