While venturing through the grocery store, I picked up a bag of fresh fruits. After all, they are supposed to be a natural dessert, but I cannot seem to tame my sweet tooth with a peach. That's when it hit me - I can turn my fruits into a healthy "ice cream" by putting them in the blender. I've seen other people do this online. Here's my recipe:
- 3 bananas, frozen
- 1 tablespoon fat-free chocolate syrup
- Chop up the bananas into small pieces. Toss them into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the chocolate syrup. Continue blending until the consistency is that of ice cream.
- Put into a freezer-safe container. Freeze the "ice cream" for a few hours.
- Eat every last drop, knowing that your dessert is fat free.
How simple is that? I'd heard about people using bananas this way before, but I honestly didn't think that the end product would be that delicious. To my surprise, the "ice cream" was just that - icy and creamy. I didn't miss the added cream, milk or sugar. My body enjoyed the nutrients from the bananas, and I appreciated the added flavor from the chocolate syrup.
I would recommend eating your "ice cream" within a few days. I'm sure it would keep in the freezer, but it may get frost bitten or too hard to scoop. It's so simple that you can even get your kids to help you make it.
Who wants to test this recipe out with some other fruits? I'm thinking that strawberries, peaches or even mangoes may work well. You would still probably need to include banana for the texture, but other fruits would make it even healthier. Let me know what you think!